Glycol and methyl methacrylates, and therefore any acrylics including the London Resins soften polyethylene (PE) capsules. They also react with O2 during curing and will leave a sticky top layer. Pre-dried gelatine capsules, polypropylene (PP) capsules (R051 RL070) and machined Teflon moulds may be used.
When no tight fitting cover is available, simply laying a piece of kitchen cling-wrap on top of the resin will prevent the oxygen/resin reaction.
Natural, hard gelatine capsules. To be used as an embedding mould for water miscible resins, or resins which need to be cured by transmitted light. For non‐water miscible resins, dry capsules in a 60°C oven. Gelatine capsules dissolve or disintegrate within 5 minutes when immersed in a 0.5% HCl solution at 36‐38°C, within 2 minutes in artificial gastric juice at 37°C or in hot, about 60°C, water.
Suitable for embedding in resins which require UV or other light polymerisation.
Larger gelatine capsules, up to 66 x 22mm, are available on indent (2 weeks). These are ideal for storing delicate or small items. They may also be used as embedding moulds for paraffin or paraplast. The large capsules have a locking ring. A variety of sizes is available.
|Cat. No.||Size||Diameter (mm)||Volume (mL)|
Easy embedding and specimen trimming using disposable polyethylene capsules.
Standard capsules, size 00. Pre‐shaped truncated pyramid tip with 1x1mm face to reduce trimming.
Conical capsules, size 00. For very small quantities, pelleting or suspensions or for long, thin specimens.
Bottle‐neck capsules, size 00. For special problems where centrifugation is required or where elongation of the embedding space would be helpful because of sample shape.
Small capsules, size 3 and same design as RB001.
|Standard embedding capsules, ID8mm||100|
|Conical embedding capsules, ID7.9mm||100|
|Bottle‐neck embedding capsules, ID7.9mm||100|
|Small embedding capsules, 5.6mm||100|
A unitised polyethylene mould of 10 capsules, self-supporting and numbered 1 -10. The 8mm mould produces size 00 blocks which have a pyramid-shaped tip with a 1mm square top.
Introducing the EM5 ‐ an innovative new design based on the widely used ⌀8 mm size embedding mould. The unique two part design allows for easy removal of resin blocks, as well as incorporating many other advantages over currently available embedding products.
- Separate base and tube sections that clip together to form the familiar capsule shape.
- Care should be taken that each component is free of debris before attaching together, to ensure a proper seal.
- Easy removal of resin blocks achieved by simply pulling the mould apart by hand.
- The mould can produce blocks up to 20mm in length, however shorter blocks (˜14mm) allow for easier removal. No razor blades or capsule presses are required.
- The detachable cap section allows for easier access and manipulation of a specimen.
- For more accurate specimen alignment a small amount of resin can be cured or partially cured before clipping to the body and completing the resin block. When fully cured they form strong homogeneous blocks.
- Each mould can be clipped to other moulds, allowing for the creation of trays of desired size. For volatile resins, another cap section can be clipped on to the top of the mould, creating an air tight seal.
- Each cavity is numbered 1 < 5, whilst the end support stands have designated areas for writing indexing numbers or comments.
A convenient mould which offers these features:
- Trays‐and‐moulds are self standing.
There is no need for a holding tray.
- Easy orientation of specimens.
Tip of mould is only 0.3mm thick and is transparent. This makes specimen orientation possible.
- They form a universal block.
Easy Mould tips have a flat block face, wide enough for large specimens. The design prevents air bubble trapping. Additionally, a marking gives a guide to the correct position for clamping.
- Free airflow for even polymerisation.
Easy Mould trays raise the moulds away from the surface of the oven and allows air of a constant temperature to circulate freely and evenly around the specimen.
- Sealing of Capsules
When using acrylates or other volatile or air reacting embedding media (LR White, GMA, HPMA), the moulds may be sealed by placing another Easy Mould on top. With a little pressure a perfect seal is obtained.
- Easy to Remove the Polymerised Block
Simply push the bottom of the mould and the block pops out. No need for razor blades or a capsule press.
- Convenient Storage of Sectioned Blocks.
Each cavity is numbered and additional data can be written on the trays. Used Easy Moulds are ideal for the storage of sectioned blocks. Trays stack well.
- Technical Specifications:
Each tray contains 2x10 block moulds and measures 87 x 66mm. They are available in size 00:
- Size 8mm diameter which corresponds to gelatine and BEEM™ capsule size 00 for a 3mm block face.
|Cat. Number||Description||Carton quantity|
|R051||Easy Mould, Size 00 (8mm diam.)||5 trays or 50 trays|
These reusable, long-life moulds produce size "00" pre-shaped blocks which "pop" from the mould - no razor needed. For normal or high temperature rapid embedding (100°C). Not recommended for acrylic resins. Recommended for epoxy resins, though mould life is somewhat reduced with low viscosity types.
These translucent BEEM® capsule holders are perfect for microwaving or UV polymerising of embedding media. Made from polypropylene. Suitable for all embedding capsules size 00.
UV/ Cryo chamber on page Y2