INTRODUCTION TO QUORUM TECHNOLOGIES
Quorum Technologies own the Polaron brand, and in early 2006 they also purchased Emitech. ProSciTech is the sole distributor for these three brands in Australasia, south of Singapore. Some additional data may be available from www.quorumtech.com.
Warranty: Quorum Technologies offer a standard 12 months warranty on all instruments. This can be extended to 3 years by filling in and returning the registration form. Pumps are excluded from the extension.
Quorum/EMITECH's range of sputter coaters includes the K695X. The K695X is able to coat single 12" wafers in one operation, and with its unique sputtering arm can sputter two different target materials sequentially.
These units are all benchtop units utilising magnetron target assemblies. The magnetron target assembly enhances the efficiency of the process using low voltages and results in fine grain and cool sputtering.
All units are designed with an integrated panel and plug-in electronics to maximise up-time. All systems are engineered for easy operation and they are well suited for multi-user environments. The independent rotary pumps are controlled by the instruments throughout the process.
The triple-target system is particularly useful in the semi-conductor wafer industry. It has a turbomolecular pump backed by a rotary vacuum pump. The integrated instrument panel and plug-in electronics maximise 'up-time' and, with user friendly designs, ensures satisfactory multi-user discipline. The sputtering parameters can be pre-set, including the gas bleed needle valve which has electromagnetic valve back-up.
The independent vacuum pump is controlled by the instrument throughout the fully automatic coating cycle.
It can be used to sputter coat targets such as gold, and also targets that may need pre-cleaning, or the removal of oxide layers such as chromium. A shutter assembly is fitted as standard which allows a sputter cleaning and the sputter cycle to be carried out while maintaining the vacuum.
Notes on Sputter Coating
When a glow discharge is formed between a Cathode and Anode using a suitable gas (typically Argon), and Cathode target material (commonly Gold) the bombardment of the target with gas ions will erode this target material, this process being termed "Sputtering".
The resulting omni-directional deposition of sputtered atoms will form an even coating on the surface of the specimen, normally located on the stage (anode) of the instrument. This electrically conductive thin coating will be representative of the surface of the specimen. It will inhibit charging, reduce thermal damage, and improve secondary electron emission which are beneficial for Scanning Electron Microscopy.
How to mount targets in a sputter coater
Most targets are held by a cover or crimped around the edge - if yours is not that type it must be glued.
'Glue' used must be electrically conducting.
For 'professional' mounting use a few slivers of indium wire on the support plate, cover with the target and then either place in an oven with a flat weight on top of the target or use a smoothing iron to heat the gold and hence melt the indium. Placing something like a piece of lens tissue onto the target would protect it.
For a short time a temperature a little higher than melting point of Indium is required; m.p. 156.6°C.
Alternatively use a bit of silver conducting paint, best find a few small drops of paste at the bottom of the jar.
You could also make a paste using our silver powder and a little commercial epoxy glue - method under Silver powder C920 on page C8. Only spot gluing is required, but keep a weight on the target while drying/ curing.
All models have full digital equipment control, with easy to read LCD display and menu driven operation
The use of carbon films on TEM specimen grids or as carbon coatings is common in electron microscopy. These films add little to the background signal and they have relatively good electrical conductivity. Thin films (5 nanometres) are used in TEM to stabilise some specimens. Thicker films (up to 30 nanometres) may be used for TEM support films and in SEM for X-Ray microanalysis. Commonly, a high vacuum evaporator with carbon rods is used to produce these coatings and this system is preferred for some applications. The use of carbon fibre, has allowed a flash evaporation technique, which is suitable for many general EM requirements. Quorum manufactures a range of evaporators to meet all needs. Carbon coatings produced in high vacuum have a finer grain and these are preferred for some TEM applications; flash evaporated carbon is used for conventional SEM and EDS /WDS. Carbon fibre must be used in the low vacuum, rotary vane pump only. For high vacuum system carbon/graphite rods are preferable.
PUMPS: All carbon evaporators require an appropriate size, two stage mechanical pump. Turbo pumped instruments include the turbo pump, but require a mechanical pump to back the turbo pump. ProSciTech supplies pumps for these instruments or as separate pumps for other equipment quite competitively. Inquire for more information.
Product videos of Q series of sputter/carbon coaters & PP3010T cryo preparation system for SEM
The KSC7620 is a compact, low cost SEM sputter coater. When combined with the optional carbon attachment KSC7620-CF it makes the ideal low-cost SEM sputtering and carbon coating system package. The KSC7620 is fitted as standard with a glow discharge function, making it ideal for the hydrophilisation, or 'wetting', of carbon-coated TEM grids and other surface modifications. The KSC7620 is robust, easy to operate and is backed up with a three-year warranty.
NB: The KSC7620 is primarily designed for use with tungsten filament SEMs; not FESEM. For extra fine grain coating required for most FE-SEM applications, high vacuum coating is required - see the KQ150T, or for larger specimens see the KQ300T-T.
- Rapid cycle time
- Simple operation
- Magnetic deflection sputter coating head
- Compact design
- Glow discharge capability
- Carbon fibre evaporation option
- Adjustable height stage
- Easy to change sputter targets
- Built to latest safety standards
- Robust and reliable
- Three year warranty
- Rotary pump - See our range of pumps on page V4 and K6
- SC7625-CF - Carbon fibre evaporation attachment
KQ150R is a compact rotary pumped coating system ideally suited for SEM and other coating applications.
All Q150 models have a colour touch screen interface.
KQ150R is available in 3 formats:
KQ150R-S - compact rotary pumped sputter coater, suitable for non-oxidising metals
KQ150R-E - compact rotary pumped carbon fibre coater suitable for SEM applications
KQ150R-ES - compact rotary pumped combined sputter coater and carbon evaporator
- Metal sputtering or carbon evaporation - or both - in one space saving design
- Rotary pumped sputter coating - allows sputtering of a wide range of non-oxidising (noble) metals, such as gold (Au), platinum (Pt), silver (Ag) and palladium (Pd)
- Carbon fibre coating - ideal for SEM carbon coating applications (eg EDS and WDS)
- Advanced design carbon evaporation gun - simple operation, reproducible results
- Glow discharge option for S and ES (ask for price) - for modification of sample surface properties (eg hydrophobic to hydrophilic conversion) or for cleaning / removal of contaminating surface residues
- Control of evaporation current profile - ensures consistently reproducible carbon films
- Repeatable thickness control using the film thickness monitor option
- Fully automatic touch screen control - rapid data input, simple operation
- Multiple, customer defined coating protocols can be stored - ideal for multi-user labs
- Automatic vacuum control, which can be pre-programmed to suit the process and material - no needle valve to adjust
- 'Intelligent' recognition system - automatically detects the type of coating insert fitted
- Easy-to-change, drop-in style specimen stages (rotation stage as standard)
- Thick film capabilities - up to 60 minutes sputtering time without breaking vacuum
- Ergonomic one piece moulded case - easy maintenance and service access
- Ethernet with local FTP server connection - simple programmer updates
- Power factor correction - complies with current legislation (CE Certification) - efficient use of power means reduced running costs
- Three-year warranty
- Required but optional: we recommend a 5 m3/h two-stage rotary pump with oil mist filter - (order separately, see page V4 and K6)
- Additional sputter insert
- Carbon rod insert (3.05mm rods)
- Glow discharge insert
- Additional glass cylinder assembly
- Extended glass cylinder assembly
- Rotating vacuum spigot
- Film thickness monitor
- FTM crystal
- Tilt stage assembly
- Slide stage
- Rotacota stage
- 4" wafer stage and gearbox
- L gasket
More information & technical specifications
Product video of Q series of sputter/carbon coaters
Note that the glow discharge option is only available for KQ150R-S and KQ150R-ES
The KQ300R-T is a large chamber, rotary-pumped coating system ideally suited for sputtering a single large diameter specimen up to 8"/200mm (eg a wafer), or multiple smaller specimens over a similar diameter.
The KQ300R-T is fitted with three individual sputtering heads to ensure even deposition on a range of specimen types. The system is designed to sputter non-oxidising (noble) metals - eg gold (Au), gold/palladium (Au/Pd) and platinum (Pt) - and is fitted with three individual sputtering heads to ensure even sputtering deposition over a large diameter. Gold (Au) targets are fitted as standard.
NB: For sputtering non-oxidising and oxidising metals, see the KQ300T-T Triple Target, Large Chamber, Turbo-Pumped Sputter Coater.
For sequential sputtering of two different oxidising or non-oxidising metals, see the KQ300T-D Dual Target Sequential Sputtering System.
KQ300 is available in three formats:
- KQ300R-T - Sputter coater, large chamber, rotary-pumped, triple target
- KQ300T-D - Sputter coater, large chamber, turbo-pumped, dual target
- KQ300T-T - Sputter coater, large chamber, turbo-pumped, triple target
Required but optional: we recommend a 50L/m two-stage rotary pump with oil mist filter - (order separately, see page V4 and K6)
More information & technical specifications
Product video of Q series of sputter/carbon coaters
Rotation of specimens during evaporation or sputtering increases uniformity of coatings and this is often a desirable feature, even with flat specimens.
Most Emitech coaters are supplied with a rotating stage, which also allows setting the angle of tilt prior to evacuation. For Emitech instruments there is a choice of several more complex stages as optional extras.
The stage holds 6 samples, with the tilt fixed at about approx 45 degrees. During coating, the samples rotate in relation to the central axis.
Each planet is bored to hold 3.2mm pin mounts, 1/4 inch pin mount and 15mm diameter mounts.
These replacement glass cylinders and L gaskets suit any sputter coater or vacuum evaporator requiring the listed dimensions.
Eg. KG6260 fits the KQ150T.
KG10429 is an extended height chamber
PST tends to hold these items in stock to allow for rapid delivery. They may not show as "available" because they may be part of a set costing above our price cut-off.
KCYL-002 dimensions are: 110mm outer diameter; 100mm inner diameter, 5mm thickness and 65mm height
Sputter coaters are available with carbon & metal coating attachments.
Ask for a quote.
These FTM crystals are used to determine the thickness of material deposited and may be used to terminate coating at a pre‐set thickness.
The quartz crystal is placed in the vacuum work chamber. One face of the crystal is exposed towards the deposition source so that as material is deposited it will coat the crystal. The crystal is connected via a vacuum feed through to external components, the system functions as an oscillator, whose output is controlled by the frequency of crystal oscillation. As material is deposited on the crystal, so its frequency is modified.
Crystals may be cleaned and reused many times.
- KC5464 ‐ This quartz crystal suits all Emitech FTMs. The KC5464 crystals are for use with the old K series coaters, Emitech range of products (K950X etc).
- KC5460 ‐ This quartz crystal is for the KQ series
Variable tilt angle specimen stage with adjustable tilt up to 90°. 50mm Ø specimen platform with six stub positions for 15mm or 6.5mm or 1/8" pin stubs. Stage rotation speed variable between 8-20 RPM